Cover Image Credit: @KeepCup on Instagram
Hey everyone! My name is Cheryl and I am the writer behind the latest blogs that you have been reading the past few months. I hope that your weekend has been amazing, and I wish you all a happy Monday!
Mondays are inspiring for me as I have some time sit down at my work desk thinking of what other content I can generate that is both relevant and useful and here it is!
I hope you will find this post useful, and that it will inspire you to try out vegan meals and to no longer be afraid of meal prep! Most importantly, I hope that this little life hack of a post can show you how reusable cups can be used in ways you have never imagined!
Singapore is hosting our first-ever Singapore Vegan Festival this Sunday, 29th September 2019. Since this is a first ever edition, the festival aims to arose and satisfy your curiosity about plant-based food and spread awareness regarding animal rights, health and environmental sustainability. For those who are vegan-curious, or are following other diet types, do head down to support local efforts to support, help and gather everyone who are curious or want advice on how we can whip up tasty, sustainable and animal cruelty-free food. After all, it's always a good time to try out new vegan recipes!
Singapore Vegan Festival
(Image Credit: https://sgveganfestival.com)
Although we may think that the vegan lifestyle means long hours of meal-prep and that ingredients available are limited, there is always a way to find amazing recipes that melts these worries away!
Living in a fast-paced lifestyle, it always feels like we don't have time to do many things, including having a proper time to dine at the breakfast table. Are lunchboxes too bulky and obsolete when your food is finished? Try using your reusable cups as a kill-two-birds-with-one-stone alternative. Breakfast, then coffee!
The guilt-free way to enjoy breakfast or snacks on-the-go!
(Image Credit: @KeepCup on Instagram)
Here are 5 yummy vegan breakfast recipes for you that you can make in a flash, and you can take on-the-go!
1) To-Go Acai/Smootie Cup
It's a go-to for many people for all the right reasons: Jam-packed with superfoods, anti-oxidants, and much more from the berry goodness, this delicious, healthy and fun acai/smootie cup gets your gears grinding and set in the morning!
Acai berries are hard to find in Singapore, but you can find them in stores like Little Farms, or in Lazada and on other online grocery stores. Otherwise, you can replace it with berries, which works just as good!
Here's a video of how you can whip up a mean smoothie bowl, replace some frozen berries with acai puree if desired!
To-Go Acai/Smootie Cup
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
-FOR ACAI/BERRY BASE
- 160 g organic frozen mixed berries (include acai berries if desired)
- 100 g ripe banana (sliced and frozen)
- 30-45 ml light coconut or almond milk (plus more as needed)
- 1 scoop plain or vanilla protein powder of choice* (optional)
- 5 g shredded unsweetened coconut (desiccated)
- 12 g chia seeds
- 10 g hemp seeds
- Granola (optional)
- Fruit (optional)
- Add all frozen berries and banana to a blender and blend on low until small bits remain.
- Add a bit of coconut or almond milk and protein powder (optional), and blend on low again, scraping down sides as needed, until the mixture reaches a soft serve consistency.
- Scoop into your reusable cup and top with desired toppings. I prefer chia seeds, hemp seeds, and coconut, but strawberries, granola, and a nut or seed butter would be great too! Place your lid back on your cup and you are ready to go!
- Best when fresh, though leftovers can be kept in the freezer for 1-2 weeks. Let thaw before enjoying.
(Recipe from: Minimalist Baker, minimalistbaker.com/favorite-smoothie-bowl-5-minutes)
2) Vanilla Blueberry Chia Pudding Cup
Chia seeds and blueberries-- 2 superfoods essential for a health boost. It doesn't have to just be mundane smoothies or drinks. Who says you can't have pudding for breakfast?
This delicious and healthy combination only requires 5-10 minutes to prep the night before, a simple breakfast pick-me-up!
To-Go Vanilla Blueberry Cobbler Chia Seeds Pudding Cup
PREP TIME: 20 minutes the night before
- ½ cup of chia seeds
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 6 tablespoons of honey
- 3 cups of fresh blueberries
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ cup of frozen blueberries
- Optional Toppings: Other fruits, berries, nuts and seeds
1. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the chia seeds, coconut milk, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of honey until combined. Chill in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
2. In a small sauce pot mix together 4 tablespoons of honey, fresh blueberries, lemon juice and cinnamon and cook over low heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until it becomes very thick. Chill immediately.
3. To Serve: Layer the chilled chia seed pudding along with the chilled blueberry compote and garnish with froze blueberries, granola and hemp hearts into your cup. Place your reusable cup lid and go!
(Recipe from: Bob's Red Mill, https://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/recipes/blueberrychia-seed-pudding)
3) Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats Cup
This recipe is a loophole-- Guilt-free indulgence! Plus, it is one of the easiest to make yet one of the tastiest as well. Coffee, oats or both in one jar? An amazing idea invented by those who really know what breakfast is all about!
PREP TIME: 5 minutes the night before
- 40g Oats
- 1tbsp Cacao
- 1tsp Chia Seeds
- 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips
- Maple Syrup (to taste)
- 125ml Almond Milk
- Put the oats, cacao, chia seeds, dark chocolate chips and peanut butter into the jar or tub you’ll be taking the oats in.
- Pour in the almond milk. Make sure you choose a container with a suitable lid otherwise the contents of your bag will be coated in chocolaty oats…
- Add the maple syrup to your taste, don’t go crazy though, remember it’s breakfast!
- Give everything a good stir.
- Put the lid on and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Grab the oats from the fridge, stir and eat or take with you on your journey! If you fancy you can top your overnight oats with some of your favourite things, such as chia seeds, more chocolate chips or coconut flakes.
(Recipe from: GoodtoKnow, https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/overnight-oats)
4) Simple Salad in a Cup with Oil-Free Dressing
Salads don't have to be boring, oily and the same. Enjoy making many different types of salad and dressing to spice up your mornings! The ingredients, although simple, burst with flavour and freshness. Using oil-free salad dressing means an easier clean-up as well, isn't that the best of both worlds? We think this is worth an experiment!
(Recipe from: Caitlin Shoemaker on YouTube)
Another salad dressing idea that is oil-free for easy cleaning of your cups:
(Recipe from: Veggie Gorilla on YouTube)
5) Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
A cheat day is always well-deserved with this decadent gooey chocolate cake in a mug!
PREP TIME: 3 minutes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup soy milk (or your dairy-free milk)
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- In a microwave-safe mug, add all the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Mix well.
- Now add all the wet ingredients - vanilla essence, coconut oil, soy milk. Mix *really* well for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is silky smooth.
- Add dark chocolate chips and give it a quick stir. Sprinkle some more chips on top. Microwave for 2 minutes.
(Recipe from: VeganBell, https://www.veganbell.com/vegan-chocolate-mug-cake/)
Other Simple Breakfast or Snack Ideas On-The-Go:
Besides the detailed recipes shared on this blog, you can always use your reusable cups to contain many other snacks. Some I would recommend for a nice on-the-go, fuss-free things to pack are bite-sized fruit pieces with skewers, little energy snack balls, and even sandwiches if it fits into your disposable cup! The dual function of reusable cups allow you to make use of the precious real estate within your bags! These reusable cups are truly a great on-the-go buddies for both food and drinks! If you do get on the go, I would recommend getting a set of reusable cutlery for your on-the-go meals and snacks!
(Image Credit: @Keepcup on Instagram)
~Have a ho (good) week! 😊~